- MLA Landscape Architecture, College of Environmental Design, University of California at Berkeley, 1993
- BA Design of the Environment, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Pennsylvania, 1989
- Environmental Negotiation Workshop, Nelson Facilitation, Tiburon, CA, 2016
- Point Arena Mountain Beaver Workshop, US Fish & Wildlife Service, Point Arena, CA, 2010
- Planning in California: An Overview & Update, UC Davis Extension, Land Use Planning, Sacramento, CA, 2007-08
- Mitigation Measure Development & Monitoring, UC Davis Extension, Land Use Planning, Davis, CA, 2007
- CEQA: A Step-by-Step Approach, UC Davis Extension, Land Use Planning, Sacramento, CA, 2007, 2014
- Endangered Species Regulation & Protection, UC Davis Extension, Land Use Planning, Davis, CA, 2007
- Land Use, Real Estate & Environmental Law Update, Abbott & Kindermann, LLP, Sacramento, CA, 2007, 2010, 2015
- Introduction to Wetland Delineation, CA State Chico, Friends of the Biological Sciences Herbarium, Chico, CA, 2006
- Subdivision Map Act: Parts I & II, UC Davis Extension, Land Use Planning, Davis, CA, 2006
- 12 years manager for design and construction bookstore
- 8 years draftsperson and model maker for various design firms, including landscape architecture, interior design and lighting design
- 1 year project manager for civil and structural engineering firm
- 2 years performing garden installations
- 2 art exhibits
Tara Jackson graduated from Humboldt State University with a Bachelor’s of Science in Environmental Science and Management: Planning and Policy. She has spent her life in rural communities, beginning with a small town in northeastern Colorado and then moving to northern California in 2008. Before and during her studies at Humboldt State University she worked at Black Oak Ranch in Laytonville, CA as a general laborer which included organic gardening and maintenance assistance for Camp Winnarainbow. In congruence to her academics at HSU she worked as an instructional student assistant for an Environmental Conflict Resolution course. In addition, she worked as a research assistant in which she helped identify indices to measure socio-economic impacts of Marine Protected Areas. Additionally, she worked at an intern for the City of Eureka’s planning department in which she reviewed historical development standards to help inform planners and community members about trends in the city’s zoning ordinance. She is passionate about facilitating responsible development initiatives that will provide continuous opportunities for livable and affordable rural communities.
- B.S., Environmental Science & Management: Planning and Policy, 2017, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA.
- Internship, 2018. Eureka Development Service Department. Eureka, CA.
- Research Assistant, 2018. Humboldt State University. Arcata, CA.
- Instructional Student Assistant, 2016 – 2017. Humboldt State University. Arcata, CA.
- General Laborer, 2012 – 2017. Black Oak Ranch / Camp Winnarainbow. Mendocino County.
Asa B Spade graduated from Humboldt State University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, with a concentration in Landscape Ecosystems as well as a minor in Botany. Since that time he has been working in the natural resources field, first with Mendocino County Environmental Health and later with California State Parks and the Department of Fish and Game. He has been trained in Army Corps wetland delineation by the Coastal Training Program at Elkhorn Slough. He is on the Fish and Wildlife Service approved list for Point Arena mountain beaver surveys and has done surveys for Behren’s silverspot butterfly, Northern spotted owl, and the California red-legged frog. He has contributed to more than 75 coastal development projects in Mendocino County.
BS, Environmental Science: Technology – Landscape Ecosystems, Humboldt State University, December 2006
AA, Transfer Studies, Engineering, Shasta College, May 2002
Wetland Delineation Certification, Jurisdictional Delineation of Waters of the U.S., Including Wetlands on the California Coast, Elkhorn Slough Coastal Training Program, November 2008
Military Course Completions
- Submarine Warfare Qualification, July 2000
- Nuclear Propulsion Plant Operator Reactor, July 1999
- Naval Nuclear Power School, Enlisted, December 1998
- Nuclear Electronics Technician, Class A, May 1998
Environmental Scientist / Botanist / Owner, Spade Natural Resources Consulting, 2009 – Present, Fort Bragg, CA
Owl Biologist, Strix Wildlife Consulting, 2009 – Present, Fort Bragg, CA
Fisheries Technician, Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission, Department of Fish and Game Field Office, Fort Bragg, CA
California Recreational Fisheries Survey (CRFS) Field Sampler, Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission, Eureka, CA
Environmental Services Intern, California State Parks, Mendocino District, Russian Gulch State Park, Mendocino, CA
Environmental Health Technician, Mendocino County Environmental Health, Fort Bragg, CA
Redwood Trail Guide and Ecological Docent, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
Field and Laboratory Assistant, Eel Grass and Black Brant Project, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
Nuclear Electronics Technician, Reactor Operator, U.S. Navy, Bangor Naval Submarine Base, Silverdale, WA
- Computer Skills – Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MapPoint), Paint Shop Pro, ArcMAP
- I.S. – Mapping with ArcGIS & layer interpolation with Spatial Analyst
- Basic knowledge of NEPA, CEQA and other environmental laws and concepts
- Ability to use dichotomous keys for plant, animal and fungi identification (e.g. Jepson Manual)
- Ability to use GPS remote sensing equipment
- Ability to communicate and operate within government organizations
- Ability and love for working outdoors
- Knowledge of estuarine and coastal forest ecology
- Knowledge of Mendocino County endangered species of interest
- Trained by Ron LeValley to work with snow plover and to perform bird counts by ear
- Trained by Matt Coleman to perform snorkel surveys in Big River
- FWS approved for Point Arena Mountain Beaver surveys
- Experienced and trained to load/unload and drive ATVs
- Army Corps Wetland Delineation certified
- Trained in Red Legged frog survey technique
- Trained in Behren’s silver spot butterfly survey technique
Nicole Herrera graduated from Gonzaga University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Studies and a minor in Biology. After graduating, she worked as an intern for The Nature Conservancy conducting vegetation monitoring for the endangered golden-cheeked warbler. She served as an AmeriCorps member for the Watershed Stewards Program which aims to conserve, restore, and enhance anadromous watersheds for future generations. She worked as a fisheries technician conducting salmonid monitoring and habitat restoration for various agencies, including the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission, and the Bureau of Land Management. She also has experience planning and implementing northern spotted owl and amphibian surveys.
Gonzaga University, Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Studies and a minor in Biology
- A.A. Social Science (2002): College of the Redwoods, Fort Bragg, CA
- Certificate of Attendance (July 2014) Pacific Energy Center, San Francisco, CA
- Energy Pro 6 Software for 2013 Title 24 Residential Compliance.
- AutoCAD Drafter | Wynn Coastal Planning, Fort Bragg, Ca | January 2014 – Current
- AutoCAD Drafter | I.l. Welty & Associates, Inc., Fort Bragg, Ca | February 2006 – Current
- Survey Techinician | Forrest Francis Land Surveyor, Fort Bragg, Ca | January 2012 – Current
- Autocad Drafter | Kpff Consulting Engineers, Fort Bragg, Ca | May 2003 – February 2006
- Customer Representative | Harvest Market, Fort Bragg, Ca | July 1997 – August 2002 & June 2010 – February 2011
- Fort Bragg High School 2010
Administrative Assistant Wynn Coastal Planning and Biology, Fort Bragg, Ca May 2019-Present
Inn Manager Sacred Rock Resort Elk, Ca. 2015 – 2019 Innkeeper Griffin House Inn Elk, Ca. 2012-2015
Inn keeper Harbor House Inn Elk, Ca. 2008-2012
11 years experience in the hospitality industry, recruiting, training, counseling and solving customer complaints and addressing stressful situations.